This year’s list of golf course architects and projects honoured by the American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA) as part of its Design Excellence Recognition Program has been revealed.
The association’s Design Excellence Recognition Program highlights innovative approaches to modern golf design and examples of exceptional problem-solving skills. The program covers everything from 18-hole layouts to practice facilities and renovation work.
The 2016 list of honourees has been selected by a panel of golf industry leaders, which included representatives from the Club Managers Association of America and Golf Course Builders Association of America.
The courses included on the 2016 list are:
• Arlington Lakes Golf Club, Arlington Heights, Illinois – Mike Benkusky, ASGCA
• Atlantic Dunes, The Sea Pines Resort, Hilton Head, South Carolina – Scot Sherman, ASGCA
• Ken Lanning Golf Center, Jefferson City, Missouri – Todd Clark, ASGCA
• Lebovic Golf Club, Aurora, Ontario, Canada – Doug Carrick, ASGCA
• Los Robles Greens Golf Course, Thousand Oaks, California – Jason Straka, ASGCA and Dana Fry, ASGCA
• Mountain Shadows Resort Short Course, Paradise Valley, Arizona – Forrest Richardson, ASGCA
• NCR Country Club, Kettering, Ohio – Dr. Mike Hurdzan, ASGCA Fellow
• The Oaks Club – Heron Course, Osprey, Florida – Hurdzan/Fry Environmental Golf Design
• Pelican’s Nest Golf Club, Bonita Springs, Florida – Jan Bel Jan, ASGCA
• University of Southern Mississippi Short Game Facility, Hattiesburg – Nathan Crace, ASGCA
• Wilmette Golf Club, Wilmette, Illinois – Greg Martin, ASGCA
“Congratulations to these tremendous golf facilities, as well as the architects who provided their talent and expertise,” said John Sanford, vice president of the ASGCA. “Once again this year, the projects highlighted by the Design Excellence Recognition Program show the positive impact a well-designed facility has for golfers and their community.”
More details on each project will feature in upcoming editions of By Design.