Irish architect Jeff Lynch has started on a tee renovation programme at the historic Hermitage Golf Club in Dublin.
The Hermitage club is located west of Dublin city, next to the River Liffey in an area known as the Strawberry Beds. Founded in 1905 as the County Dublin Golf Club, and originally designed by James McKenna, and was renovated in 2002 by Jeff Howes.
Lynch, who formerly worked for Howes, but who is now a partner in the international design firm (re)GOLF, is working closely with course superintendent Mark Harrington, and the club’s committee, to create new teeing areas with improved turf quality and playability, and that also blend in with the terrain in the historic parkland setting.
“The current teeing system consists of small push up tees which have settled over time and cannot cope with current playing volumes,” Lynch told GCA.