Musselburgh timeline

s

By Sean Dudley

1775: Musselburgh Golf Club formed 1836: The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers moves from Leith to Musselburgh 1874: Musselburgh hosts its first Open, won by Mungo Park 1876: Musselburgh Golf Club becomes Royal Musselburgh 1889: Musselburgh hosts its sixth and final Open, won by Willie Park Junior. This is the last Open on a course with fewer than 18 holes 1891: The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers moves to Muirfield, taking the Open with it 1925: Royal Musselburgh moves to its own new 18 hole course at Prestongrangel 1968: Cockenzie Power Station opens and starts pumping pulverised fuel ash into lagoons on the shore side at Musselburgh 1982: Musselburgh Old Course Golf Club formed by local enthusiasts 1986: National Hunt racecourse established. Adverse impact on Barrack's Entry hole and Mrs Forman's 1996: Further racecourse development, with bends softened and the eastern bend banked up. Old eighth hole (the Gas hole) lost 2002: Present proposals for the racecourse announced 2005: Inaugural World Hickory Open played over the links

READ
NEXT

MOST
POPULAR

FEATURED
BUSINESSES